Anyone who has ever had a dog knows how much love and joy they bring to our lives. From greeting us at the door when we get home to keeping us warm at night, we have plenty of reasons to be thankful for their very presence. Here are a few of those reasons:
1. They teach lessons. Pets give us a sense of responsibility. For those of us without children, pets instill a sense of duty by requiring us to be accountable for them. Mealtimes, grooming, exercise… pets require a lot of care, and it takes a responsible person to take care of them!
2. They are great listeners. Do you ever need somebody to just rant to without getting all sorts of unsolicited advice? Try a cat or a dog. They won’t say a word. They’ll just look at you and let you speak of what happens to be on your mind. However, cats are more likely to be sleeping during any heart-to-heart you attempt to have with them, and I wouldn’t recommend trying to hold a conversation with a bird. They won’t let you get a word in.
3. Pets Love Us Unconditionally. Dogs do not discriminate against age, race, sex, weight or physical ability; they accept us for who we are. It does not matter if our makeup is not done, if we missed our sales goal at the office this week, or if we did not make the three-pointer on the basketball court. When we give our pets the affection they need and deserve at the end of the day, there is no limit to the amount of love and affection they will return.
4. They are calming. Pets live in the here and the now. They don’t have any worries about the past or the future. Their relaxing, untroubled energy is what we would refer to as chicken soup for the soul – it does us a world of good simply by being around it.
5. They are our friends. Sometimes there is just nothing better than curling up with a little ball of fur that looks up at us with adoring eyes. The bond between man and dog is powerful and very profound. The deepest friendships are often the ones that require a language of communication other than words, and pets allow us to experience such an incredible, timeless partnership.
If you don’t have a pet and are looking to get one, Paws & Pals strongly encourages you to consider adopting a dog from your local animal shelter!
In the meantime, for those of you that do have pets: go home and love them up. They are family members, confidants, our dearest friends, and they deserve every ounce of our gratitude!
Of course, there are many more reasons to be thankful for our furry friends. What are yours?